Friday, December 31, 2010

Adventures in Calendar Making!

Well it's the end of another year and me being the organized person I am started thinking about a new calendar for our kitchen.  In past years, we've just used one of those paper ones you buy at the store that has pictures of the beach or some other scene.  Nothing fancy, but it gets the job done.  A couple of years ago, I saw this picture and KNEW I wanted to make one!

Isn't it soooo cute?  You just write on the glass with a dry erase marker, so smart right?  Well, my crafty neighbor friend Leah came over Wednesday to assist, but it turned out to be more like moral support.  I cut my paper to 10x10.  Leah, who is not only a crafty neighbor friend, is also a teacher which automatically makes her good at math.  A plus in my book.  She figured out just where I needed to place my marks for my lines to make my calendar.  Now mind you, I'm sure there's an easier way to do this, or a calendar you can print out or buy, but I'm cheap thrifty, as Tracy likes to say.  So this was the way I was doing it.  Here was my practice copy...
Boo-ti-ful, right?  Perfectly placed lines, plenty of room.  Just right!  Now I just needed to do the same thing on white cardstock with black lines.  No problem.  Easier said than done.  My first try on the white, I ended up pacing my vertical lines too close together and had to pitch it.  It was getting close to dinner time and I was starting to get a wee bit frustrated.  So I pulled out another sheet and started again, really taking my time.  This one looked GOOD!  I was really impressed with myself.  However, because of the way things lined up, I needed to trim just a bit off the side and the bottom...
Can you see the crookedness?  Behind my stinkin' thumb there?
Bah!  All that work.  I just looked at Leah and and about screamed.  Mike had come home and I needed to fix dinner, so I left the project for the time being.  Fast forward to 8PM.  Leah and I run out to Joann's because their frames are 40% off.  This is what I came home with:
Already made, no line drawing required!  Perfect.  Sometimes you just have to face the fact that you can't craft everything!  :)  I can't wait to get this thing hung up and write all over it, I love it!

Are you all ready to ring in the new year tonight?  We're staying in with the girls, mom and dad will be over along with my crafty neighbor teacher friend Leah and her better half Nick.  Too many crazies out for us old folk.  Haha!  I just love the new year, a way to start over, fresh and clean.  January just sounds clean doesn't it?  I can't wait!  2011 will be the BEST YEAR EVER!!!!  Happy New Year's Eve my friends, be safe wherever you may be and I'll see you next year!

4 comments:

  1. i love the calendar board! i think when my munchkins get a bit bigger we will need one!

    happy new year to you too! we too will be staying in probably playing wii

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great find! You have to love an easy out when you get frustrated with a project. ;) Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it would have been great homemade, but that works too (and no swearing or drinking needed! LOL!) Happy 2011! Have fun with your new calendar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What you CAN'T craft everything!?!? That is not in my vocabulary, lol.
    Yes the proper term is thrifty, lol.
    Cute idea. My problem is that I wouldn't start the next month until a week into it, teehee.

    ReplyDelete