Wednesday, June 18, 2014

New (to us) coffe table.

Happy Wednesday!  I hope you're having a great week.  Things are good here and we're really enjoying our summer :)

You know last July we got Dirk.  He was about 8 months old then and while not a baby, he still had plenty of puppy left in him.  About  a month after we had him, he ripped into our storage ottoman.  Wah wah.  I had grand plans of reupholstering said ottoman, but then started adding up the cost and figured we should just buy a new table for the price of fabric.  I scrapped that plan and decided I would look for a table at a thrift store, that was sturdy, that we could refinish ourselves.  I had a strict budget of $20!

This is what we found a week an a half ago.






It looks pretty rough, right?  But it is super sturdy and it was only $14.96!!!!  Under budget!  That NEVER happens!  We found it at Goodwill, stood and stared at it for awhile, went and ate lunch, talked about it and then went back and bought it.

Then next day, Mike sanded the table and put two coats of white paint all over.


This was just after the first coat of white.  At this point we were planning on adding a glaze, which we've done to the cabinets in our house, but it was too brown.  So Mike said, how about grey?  We ran to Home Depot and bought a $3 sample size of paint and he mixed a little with water, painted it on and then wiped it off to give it a distressed look.

On Monday, Abie and I moved the table into the house.  I don't have a picture of that...  It sat like that until Saturday, nearly finished.  The panels were empty, we knew what we were doing with them, we just didn't have the time to work on them.  So on Saturday, Mike cut the hardboard to size and Abie and I added batting and fabric.

Here is the finished product.


What do you think?  Not too bad for a $15 table from Goodwill!  We already have an idea to change it up when we get tire of this :) 

Have you added any new (to you) furniture lately?

Thanks for popping in today!  Have a fab Wednesday and I'll see you soon!

7 comments:

  1. I clapped when I saw the title of this post!! :) I was so excited to see your transformation and wow you did not disappoint! You guys scored a great piece and I absolutely love what you did to it! The grey paint/glaze is a nice finish it. I thought the fabric was tiles at first. It looks awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, so neat! Love to re-purpose furniture. My current place is too small for the furniture I already have, so nothing new. But really love the idea of the fabric tiles. Such pretty colors and love that you can change them out as you see fit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! This is GORGEOUS! I love the color and the fabric that you added. This is so awesome!!! It makes me want to go out and re do some furniture...only I don't know that I can fit more into my house right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You did a fantastic job!! Lovely new piece of furniture!

    Dawn
    dmg314

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, such a great transformation!!
    I too thought the fabric tiles were glass tiles, so cool.
    Don't you just get a great feeling my making something like this your own, such a great accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Becky, this table turned out amazing....you guys did a wonderful job!!! And what a bargain!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I totally live this! Great job!

    ReplyDelete